Dress for Success.
- Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for the weather and the activity.
- Wear properly fitted sneakers.
Make The Time.
- Start slowly.
- Gradually build up to at least 30 minutes of activity on most or all days of the week (or whatever your doctor recommends).
Find A Convenient Time & Place To Do Activities.
- Try to make it a habit, but be flexible.
- For example, exercise at the same time of day so it becomes a regular part of your lifestyle.
- But if you miss your chance to exercise try to incorporate another activity into your day.
- For example, walk the mall before shopping, take the stairs instead of the escalator or take 10–15 minute breaks while watching TV or sitting for walking or some other activity.
Have Reasonable Expectations Of Yourself.
- Check with your healthcare provider before beginning a physical activity program.
- Set goals that are realistic for you and your lifestyle
- Pace yourself: If you overdo it, you could burn out; so set a pace that is realistic for you.
- Don’t exercise too vigorously right after meals, when it’s very hot or humid, or when you just don’t feel up to it.
You will need plenty of water before, during, and after exercising, so be sure to keep your water bottle with you.
Make It Fun!
- Choose activities that are fun, not exhausting.
- Add variety. Develop a repertoire of several activities that you can enjoy. That way, exercise will never seem boring or routine.
- If you hate your workout, you aren’t likely to stick with it, so choose exercises you enjoy doing. For example, walking, swimming, bike riding etc…
- Ask family and friends to join you — Exercising with someone can be more enjoyable and you can keep each other on track. Or join an exercise group, health club or ta community center.
- Use music or audio books to keep you entertained.
Track & Reward Your Success
- You can use an app or pencil and paper, keep track of how you are doing and how you feel after each session. So you can make changes as necessary.
- Celebrate your successes as you reach milestones and meet your goals, by rewarding yourself for your hard work and accomplishments.
- Nothing motivates like success!
Don’t Give Up
- Don’t get discouraged if you stop for a while.
- Get started again gradually and work up to your old pace.
- Even if you don’t meet your goals today or tomorrow, pick back up again and move forward.